Professor of Economics
University of Adelaide and Australian National University
Kym Anderson, a Fellow of the AAEA, AARES, AAWE, ASSA, and CEPR, has research interests and publications in the areas of international trade and development, agricultural economics, environmental and resource economics, and wine economics. Those research interests have been colored by spending periods of extended leave from academia at the Economic Research division of the GATT (now WTO) Secretariat in Geneva during 1990-92 and at the World Bank’s Development Research Group in Washington D.C. as Lead Economist (Trade Policy) during 2004-07. His research agenda is also influenced by being a member of the Board of Trustees of the Washington DC-based International Food Policy Research Institute, and of the Commission of Australia’s Centre for International Agricultural Research.
Anderson's specific areas of research focus have included:
- Changing comparative advantage in agriculture and other sectors as economies grow
- Effects of distortionary policies on agricultural markets and economic welfare
- Contributions of trade-distorting policies in addressing domestic (non-trade) concerns
- Political economy of price-distorting policies
- Trade effects of regional integration
- Wine globalization
- Economics of the GATT/WTO
He has received a number of awards for his publications, including:
- AARES 2012 Quality of Research Communication Prize, for four related 2010-11 journal articles (with J.L. Croser)
- AAEA’s 2010 Bruce Gardner Memorial Prize for Applied Policy Analysis, for the research project that culminated in the book on Distortions to Agricultural Incentives: A Global Perspective, 1955-2007
- AARES’s 2010 Quality of Research Discovery Prize, for the book on Distortions to Agricultural Incentives: A Global Perspective, 1955-2007
- AARES’s 2007 Quality of Research Discovery Prize, for the edited volume on Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda (with W. Martin)
- AAEA’s 2007 Outstanding Article Honorable Mention for the 2006 article in Review of Agricultural Economics (with W. Martin and D. van der Mensbrugghe)
- AAEA’s 2006 Quality of Communications Award, for the edited volume and subsequent journal articles on Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda (with W. Martin)
- 1998 Daeyang Prize for the best article in Journal of Economic Integration, for a paper on closer economic relations between Europe and East Asia.
- 1987 Tohata Memorial Award of Japan's National Institute for Research Advancement, for the book The Political Economy of Agricultural Protection (with Yujiro Hayami)
This post is part of an ongoing series of profiles of AAEA members. Have a suggestion for a future profile? Send them to Info@aaea.org.