The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Foundation (RMF), and the World Food Prize Foundation (WFPF) invite nominations for the 2013 AAAS CHARLES VALENTINE RILEY MEMORIAL LECTURE which will be held in the spring of 2013 at the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1200 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC
Beginning in 2010 and held annually, the AAAS Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Lecture is a special opportunity to highlight the important role of research and innovation in agriculture, the most basic human endeavor.
The 2013 nominees should be well-respected scientists working at the forefront of a pressing issue at the nexus of agriculture and society. They should have outstanding scientific contributions or significant policy accomplishments related to agriculture with demonstrated societal impact.
Past lecturers include Dr. Roger Beachy, then Director of the USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture; Dr. Pamela C. Ronald, Professor of Plant Pathology at the University of California, Davis; and Dr. Robert Horsch, Deputy Director for Research & Development at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The lecture carries an honorarium of $5,000.
Nominations should be typed and include the following information:
- Nominator’s name and title, institutional affiliation, email address, and phone number
- Nominee’s name and title, institutional affiliation, address (physical and email), and phone number
- A summary of the basis of the nomination that illuminates the nominee’s accomplishments with respect to agriculture and society (not to exceed 500 words)
- A curriculum vitae (3 page maximum)
Candidates nominated but not selected in 2011 and 2012 will also be considered for the 2013 Lecture. Any updates on past nominees should be emailed to email@example.com.
Submission Instructions and Deadline
All documentation should be submitted in PDF or Word format via email to Anne Moraske at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please send Ms. Moraske an email or call 202-326-6759.
The deadline for nominations is January 14, 2013.
- Nominees may not self-nominate;
- Nominations must be for individuals and not institutions;
- Members (and immediate family members) of the Selection Committee and staff of AAAS, RMF, and WFPF are ineligible